Beautiful tenant

By Mark Mutahi
The reason landlords with more
than one tenant feel safer than
those with just one unit is
because should one of the
tenants go berserk following a
quarrel over rent, help can come
in the form of the other
occupants! Or so I thought when
Naftaly built more rental units
and my reign as the sole tenant
came to an end. But as I soon
learnt one afternoon while
preparing to leave for the pub,
new neighbours don�t only
present new nuisance but also
new opportunities.
"Help! Help! ..." I heard a scream
coming from one of the
neighbours I was yet to meet.
Of course, before I could blindly
rush out to help, I had to
establish it was something I could
handle. Otherwise I was prepared
to go under the bed and hide
until the problem disappeared.
This I did by peering through the
window. It was then that I saw a
woman in a hooded sweatpants
suit run out of one of the new
units shouting, "Snake! Snake!
Snake!"
With these housing units yet to
get a name, this perhaps was the
chance to become a hero and
have them named after me! I did
not need more convincing and I
ran out.
"Where is it?" I asked putting on
the airs of an actor auditioning
for a superman role. The
shivering woman pointed inside
the house and I dashed in. I was
just in time to see a gecko
scampering up the wall.
"You mean that one?" I asked.
She nodded. I always knew our
education system needs
overhauling, but this was a new
low. I now totally agreed with the
teacher�s union that more
teachers needed to be hired and
perhaps mandatory school trips
to the snake park for the
students.
So beautiful
"Problem solved!" I said after
removing one of my sandals and
throwing it at the gecko, which
instantly dropped to the floor. It
was a heroic moment and also a
good time for the Kenya Wildlife
Services to revise their figures
for the local gecko population
downwards.
"Thank you so much ... am
Maureen ... we haven�t been
introduced!" she said as she
tossed her hood backwards. I
gasped. She was so beautiful she
looked like an MP�s payslip
before tax. And with looks like
hers I knew the clan would
understand if I sold the family
land to take her to Seychelles!
"And what do you do?" Maureen
went on to ask as I stood there
tongue-tied.
"I work at ... er ... er ... am a night
manager at a call centre," I lied
hoping to impress.
"Oh that�s so interesting, I used
to work at a call centre too ... we
have a lot to talk about!"
Maureen added.
I agreed regretting the lie since
it was going to be very
expensive trying to look like an
�executive�.
And even more worrying, as I
prepared to leave for the pub, I
noticed I was suddenly conscious
of my looks to the extent of
checking myself out on a spoon
since I don�t have a mirror!

Comments